Which varities are cold hardy?

Discussion in 'Cold Hardy Citrus and Exotic Fruit/Nut Trees' started by sthrngypsy, Aug 18, 2014.

1. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsy Chlorophyta

Hi all,

I recently moved a pretty good ways north from Mobile, AL. I used to grow lemon, lime and orange trees and miss them already. I was wondering which citrus and exotic fruit/nut trees are cold hardy and where one buys them. I'm guessing I can grow dwarf varieties in pots and bring them in in the winter but are there some I can actually plant in the ground? Also, has anyone tried using a planket?

2. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

There are a few cold hardy citrus for your are but they don't taste great and will be killed from extreme winters in zone 7 (Orange and Grapefruit crossed with bitter orange). Mandarins are the best tasting cold hardy citrus but they are only hardy to Zone 8 so active protection will be needed. Frost cloth does help but extreme cold can still take them out. They depend on warmth from the ground to keep the plant warm along with protection from radiational cooling. There is a newer Mandarin called "Orange Frost" that is available at many nurseries. The others are hard to find.

Here is a good online store:
    http://mckenzie-farms.com/photo.htm

and a great book:
    http://www.sepalms.org/store/product/4-hardy-citrus-for-the-southeast/

You can also try figs, pomegranates, pawpaw, hardy kiwi, jujube and quince.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsy Chlorophyta

Hi John,

Thanks for the great advice. I guess I will stick to the lemon, lime and oranges in pots and try some kiwi outside. I like figs too. Not a huge fan of pomegranates but I will ask my friend if she likes them and if so I'll try growing some. Not sure exactly how much longer I will be here so pots may be more practical in several ways.