Weather third quater 2016

Discussion in 'Climatology/Weather' started by Mike Anders, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Here is the new thread for the third quarter;

Still raining on & off & heavy at times. I am unable to dry any sand for the cat's toilets.

Sheba, the new kitten is making much progress & putting on weight. When we found her you could feel her backbone poking through her fur.
    Last night she slept with me all night instead of in the cage & she already knows what the bowl of sand is for!

Mike A

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

More heavy rain & more to come!

See photos; what to do when very wet outside.

Mike A

Attached Files:

togata57 likes this.
  3. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

For sure, cats have more sense than people do.

Has been HOT here for days (at or near 90)...not much rain but so humid one must wade through the heavy air. YECCH!

Temp where my daughter is: 61!!!

Mike Anders likes this.
  4. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

No rain yesterday, thank God! Today there is a light breeze & bright sunshine with a few white clouds. But rain is forecasted for this afternoon.

See photos of the plant we think is a fuchsia. I thought that some of the upper branches had died so I cut them off. It has made a profound effect on the plant & now it has a full blossom. The branches which I cut off were pushed into the compost around the main plant. I forgot about them & now after something like three months they have struck! The cuttings seem to be doing well!

Mike A

Attached Files:

5. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

No rain for twenty-four hours but very cloudy. Rain is forecasted as from noon today!

If that plant in my last post is a fuchsia, maybe I can take a green sot shoot from it & put into a jar of water to encourage roots to form quickly?

Mike A

6. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

Worth a try!

SO HOT here. Has been 90 for days and will be for more. No rain for a long time---everything fizzles out before it gets here. Today 93. When humidity is high it is a rain forest---when dry like today it's a slow oven.

When temp is this high I do not see cats all day! I think that they get into the undergrowth of the garden, where the shady leaves provide a cool(er) resting place. They all come around for supper after dark.
    Like I said earlier---cats have better sense than people!

Mike Anders likes this.
  7. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Still no rain but right now it is heavily overcast & looks like it will rain soon. Max temp is only 29 C. & min was 26 C. last night.

I now have 8 plants of the fuchsia placed in different positions around the garden to see which one will make progress first, in sunlight, shade or half sun! ;)

Mike A

8. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

There was heavy rain for a short time last night. Min temp is 27.5 C. Now there is light grey cloud cover all over.

Mike A

9. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

Finally, some much-needed rain AND cooler temp. Whew! Sure feels better.

Black Kitty's gang seem to have adopted Mama Cat's orange and white kitten as a fellow sibling! (Figuring out THIS family tree is a job for a trained genealogist...BK is Mama's daughter, and as for the dad...?! Uh, maybe more like an episode of 'Jerry Springer'! :eek:) They are all of a size now, and will soon be off on their own adventures. ---Today's nap venue was the pachysandra bed. To the casual glance no big news...but every so often a leaf would suddenly twitch, and a pair of fuzzy ears and bright eyes could be seen! :)

Have planted the clematis I grew from seed in the garden---bright sun and a fence for support. Maybe in a few years I will have a fragrant autumn display!

10. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Website OK now!

No rain for nearly two days now. At the moment there is bright sunshine with puffs of white cloud.

See photos or our mango tree with it's glut of big fruit. I have put a chair under the tree so you can see how the branches are weighted right down almost to the ground with the heavy fruit. It must be due to all the rain we have had!

The new baby cat has made herself completely at home here & is playing with the bigger mail cats. She will jump on their backs or bite there legs then roll over ready to play a game! They all love here except for Bobby, so he is not allowed indoors. So-ka also has problems. I will try to get an 'action photo' to put on here.

Mike A

Attached Files:

11. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

Has been oven-hot for days---current temp 92. Very little rain---we were supposed to have tstorms this aft but not a drop fell. Whew.

Wow! Smartly done with the mangoes. Amazing!

The cats remind me of the Salvador Dali melting watches! They lie STRETCHED out as far as possible, in shade wherever they find it!

Glad to see the site up again. :)

12. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Still no rain but the sky is overcast with heavy clouds. The forecast says that it will be sunny all morning!

Mike A

13. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

After a week of heavy rain we now have a break of two days then it will rain at 14:00 tomorrow! At the moment there is a very hot sun in a hazy sky & a fresh cool breeze blowing from the west. We can sit in the lounge with the windows wide open to let the breeze in, very nice!

I took a cutting from the so-called fuchsia & put it into water to see if it would strike but alas, it perished within three days. So the answer is 'No! It can not be done'. There are two ways to get more plants from it:
    1. Layering either hard wood branches or soft green ones. I find that the best way to do it is to bend the branch down into another small pot, by the side of the main plant, then put a heavy stone on top of it.They will strike in about one month but do not try to sever them from the main plant until they have pushed up more shoots.
    2. Hard wood cuttings pushed directly into compost in a pot. This latter method takes about three months for them to strike.
    I hope this is useful information for someone?

Garfield, our oldest male cat, is not very well. He is not eating very much & has lost the use of his left leg. He also staggers when walking. He look a shadow of his former self, loosing so much weight! His mother, So-ka, is still a very vivacious & energetic female. She has fully recovered from that 'Wireless disease' she had last year. Now she has put on much more weight!

Mike A

14. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

Oh, Mike, I am sorry to hear about Garfield. Heart-wrenching to watch him grow more feeble!
    Perhaps there is still hope for recovery...I remember when So-ka was so bad, and here she is strong again.
    One thing I know for sure is that you are giving Garfield the absolute best care anywhere.

Overcast and muggy---temp currently 87. Keeps looking as if it will rain any second but does not! This has been a hot dry summer so far.

Tomatoes doing well! Spouse planted them all in containers, so that awful verticillium wilt that is impossible to get rid of has successfully been avoided.

Thanks for the rooting info! I imagine that these techniques could be useful for many other plants as well.

Mike Anders likes this.
  15. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Still raining on & off heavy at times.

Garfield did not make it. He died in the hospital yesterday morning. The vet said it was because he ate something. Rat poison is suspected again. I have never seen my wife cry so much before! We will miss him. He is now laying next to Mitsie, Major Tom & Sugar.

Mike A

16. togata57

togata57 Lycopodiophyta

I am so sorry.
    My sympathy to you and Pari.
    [​IMG]

17. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Thank you Amy! I have just shown this to my wife; she likes it very much.

Mike A

18. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Hi Everyone!
    Rain rain rain here all the time with a brief glimpse of the sun in the afternoons. Last week I was very busy in the garden tidying up fallen leaves & burning pruning's on the BBQ. The lemon tree has produced 6 lemons so far. One of the branches had new shoots on it, so I have cut it back as there were no fruits on it, there was rotten branches & it was growing the wrong way! I hope the new shoots will have many lemons on it later.

The new kitten has really adopted us & considers that the house belongs to her. At the sign of any danger she will run indoors & hide under the sofa! Dangers are; visitors, So-ka (She doesn't like the new kitten) & falling branches which I cut down or anything else which looks threatening!

Mike A

1.2.3. Photos of the new shoots on the lemon tree.
    Photo 4. We had one of these last week. I am told that it is only visible at this latitude.
    photo 5. Amaryllis has two flowers on it this time! It will flower any time in the year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016