The Coconut tree (Cocos nucifera)

Discussion in 'Tropical Trees and Shrubs' started by charlottejoan, Apr 9, 2015.

1. charlottejoan

charlottejoan Charophyta

Living down in Florida, I see plenty of varieties of palm trees, but not the coconut tree (part of the palm family).

Years ago, when we came down as a family, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc (back in the 70s), we rented a large duplex and in the front yard was a coconut tree! Oh yes, indeed, there is nothing like a fresh coconut! Now that I think about it, not sure where the hammer came from that us kids used to open those coconuts! lol

I wonder, if anyone has ever planted or had a coconut tree in their yard?

[​IMG]

2. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd plant one if I could! A lot of businesses use coconuts here at the beach for decorations. They are then trashed most of the time.

The northern most area I've seen coconuts in FL was the Clearwater area.

3. charlottejoan

charlottejoan Charophyta

I often go to Clearwater to the beach, but have yet to spot one! Good to know they can be planted in my neck of the woods, too. Might try it one of these days. I think I saw my first Coconut tree in Miami, at least, I think that was where we stayed, which is much further south. So your info is quite good to hear.

4. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, they don't do great of curse. You could wrap them up during the coldest time of the year to prevent damage but they're pretty big trees.

charlottejoan likes this.