Growing cool weather crops in the tropics

Discussion in 'Growing Non-Tropical Plants in the Tropics' started by garden gal, May 22, 2014.

1. garden gal

garden gal Chlorophyta

I will soon be moving to Belize, and while I look forward to the new things I will be able to grow there, the thought of not having spinach, broccoli, etc. is distressing.

Does anyone know of a way to grow these things where the temp never really gets below about 75? So far the only thing I can think of is a greenhouse with solar panels and an air conditioner.

I've never grown food in a greenhouse before, so will have a lot to learn- like pollination. Any help would be appreciated.

2. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

I bet you can't wait to be in Belize!

In greenhouses, you would use a wet-wall (evaporative cooling system). I'm pretty sure you'll have trouble trying to keep the temperature below 75F without an extensive system if you live near the coast in Belize. However, up at higher elevations, you should have no problems during the wet season. I don't know a lot about Belize but at high elevations, the temperature can be really cool. Even in the capital of Ecaudor which happens to have the equator run through the country has highs in the 60s and lows in the 50s F...

When I was in Costa Rica two months ago, broccoli and cauliflower were easy to find so you might not have to grow them yourself!

garden gal likes this.
  3. garden gal

garden gal Chlorophyta

But.. will they be organic?

We are planning to live very close to the ocean because it is cooler there. Actually I had my eye on a development of houses that were being built above the water. Unfortunately it was a bit early for us and the last lot sold before we were ready to make a move. Hopefully they will start another development.

We've watched the temps and inland, even in the higher elevation, it is warmer and very muggy. I haven't checked the actual elevation of the area, but I'm guessing it just isn't high enough.

It's encouraging to hear that Broccoli and cauliflower were easy to find in Costa Rica, makes me feel more optimistic about finding them in Belize. Hopefully the more the truth comes out about GMO foods, there will be a greater push back.

And if all else fails, I can still grow my broccoli sprouts wherever I end up!

4. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, I don't think anyone in Costa Rica really labels anything as organic. You can always buy from the market where some people may only use manure for fertilizer. Be aware that Central America uses more pesticides than the US and Canada since the farmers have to follow strict guidelines and are better educated.

There isn't much to worry about GMOs. Most of the information against them is completely false and there hasn't been any evidence that the process has any danger.

The fact that the technology allows our crops to be sprayed with herbicides is another story. Now that round up is less effective, there are plans to use 2,4-D which isn't as safe.

5. garden gal

garden gal Chlorophyta

Knowing the farmer is so important. Here is the US it is costly to be labeled 'organic' by the FDA, and for small farmers it is cost prohibitive. For years I got my produce from a small scale farmer who grew everything with organic practices, but could not use the FDA label. I could, however, go anywhere on her farm and see how she grew her crops and raised her chickens.

As for GMO foods being nothing to worry about, I have to respectfully, strongly disagree with you. There has been much evidence to show that they are dangerous, but the FDA ignores it because the FDA is run by a Monsanto hot shot. Many countries have banned them based on studies.

My body has given me proof to the dangers of GMO's. Cutting out what was to my knowledge the first GMO saved my life. I was diagnosed with the most severe form of MS, and the entire practice of Neurologists that saw only MS patients were stumped. They had never seen anything like it.

For many years I got progressively worse, and nearly died a few times. Drs. wanted to do chemotherapy, bone marrow transplants, my prognosis was grim.

Until a friend sent me a link to a site about nutrasweet. It seemed very exaggerated but my health was that bad that I had no choice but to quit using it, in case there was anything to the claims. 6 weeks later I had feeling in places I hadn't had for years, and was able to start using my walker instead of my power chair. I have not had a single exacerbation since, and can once again do things like gardening, IF I am careful not to overdo it. The damage to my nervous system for the most part is still there, but it's not getting worse.

GMO seeds are constantly being updated because the pests have an unbelievable capacity to adapt. In 2013 they had to introduce a major component of agent orange into the DNA of corn seeds.

While there are studies that show they are safe (sponsored by monsanto) there are many to show they are not safe and there are many diseases that have shown a great increase since the introduction of GMO foods into our food supply, and I have 2 of these BESIDES the MS. The correlation is strong enough to suggest that GMO foods are playing a huge part in this. Mostly it is autoimmune diseases.

Tests done on lab rats have shown that after 3 generations of eating GMO foods, the rats were no longer able to reproduce! Monsanto spends a lot of money to bury these findings, but they are there.

The choice to avoid or eat GMO foods is individual, but for me it is a matter of survival. It has been proven that GMO crops actually change the DNA of a person. I'm hoping by going completely GMO free I can reverse the effects it has had on my body just as cutting out nutrasweet has, or at least keep it from getting worse.

6. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

To my knowledge, there is no sound evidence that the process of genetic engineering is dangerous.

What does Nutrasweet have to do with genetic modification?

Herbicides aren't inserted into the DNA. Various genes which produce resistance for a given herbicide are inserted into the plants. Natural round-up resistance has occurred for many years now that farmers use huge amount of it.

2,4-D ready crops aren't in production yet. 2,4-D is the herbicide most commonly seen in products like weed and feed at home improvement stores. It's not as safe as round up but doesn't have anything to do with the nasty consequences with the use of Agent Orange. Angent Orange wasn't produced properly and had a dangerous dioxin in it. This is still a concern when farmers buy cheap knock-off brands from other countries. There's no knowing which type of contaminants are in the product.

Have you ever looked at who sponsored the studies against genetic modification?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...ly-modified-corn-cause-cancer-a-flawed-study/

7. garden gal

garden gal Chlorophyta

Have you ever looked at who sponsored the tests to show they are safe?

Nutrasweet is genetically modified.