Elephant Ears - Colocasia esculenta

Discussion in 'Cold Hardy Zingiberales and Araceae (Bananas, Aroi' started by charlottejoan, Apr 16, 2015.

1. charlottejoan

charlottejoan Charophyta

I recall the first time we saw Elephant Ears, otherwise known as Colocasia esculenta from the Araceae family down in Florida. The leafs are huge and can grown anywhere from 7. to almost 60 inches!

I included a picture, in case you have never seen one before. I should really snap a few pictures. when I am out on my walk by the nearby forest preserve, as they are everywhere. It is invasive and threatens other native wetland plants.

[​IMG]

2. hoodoowytch

hoodoowytch Anthocerotophyta

My mom has one of these big ol' plants growing a HUGE pot. She'd had it outside in her yard until she sold her place and moved into town into an apt. She wasn't going to leave her Elephant Ear plant behind. LOL It's doing surprisingly well in that big planter pot she got for it though. She has it sitting outside her apt. door in the little alcove. It gets plenty of light. Seems to be thriving like crazy. Never seen these things bloom though...do they ever bloom?

3. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, they bloom but it takes a while up north!

4. hoodoowytch

hoodoowytch Anthocerotophyta

Are there any medicinal uses for this plant? Or are they purely ornamental? There is one lady in my neighborhood that has one of these outside in her yard and that thing is HUGE. All the rain and the warm weather here has really gotten it going with a quickness. Sure doesn't seem to take much to get them going. They seem to thrive here in Kentucky.