Coconut

Discussion in 'Tropical Palms' started by Mike Anders, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Hi Everyone

I have two kinds of coconut in my garden. I do not know what names they are but one is very hairy & the other is bald (skinhead). I have grown them from seed-the actual coconuts. I bought them in the market at different times. They already had shoots on them. It is a delacasy for Thia people. When cut open inside there is no milk but there is a canyfloss type of substance. Very nice to eat.;)

They are both suffering with some sort of brown fungus on the fronds before they emerge from the main trunk. Anybody know what it is please?

2. Milos

Milos Chlorophyta

Hi Mike. Can you take a pictures of your coconuts, please? I would like to see pictures of both kinds. :) And you said you grew them from seed. I tried to grow some coconuts before, but after a couple of weeks nuts started to smell awful and then nothing happened. No luck. What germination method for cocos nucifera would you recommend to me? I would like to grow one. :)

3. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

It sounds like a bud rot fungus. The only way to get rid of it is to keep the bud dry and treat with systemic fungicide. I just wrote a guide for treating the cold hardy palms with copper after cold damage but that won't help for this type of bud rot.

It's best to soak the seed with systemic fungicide for three days first. You also must make sure that the emerging end is above the soil otherwise it will be attacked by fungus and rot (if it smells, it is under attack by fungus/bacteria). The temperature should always be above 22C too.

4. Milos

Milos Chlorophyta

Thank you John on your kind answer. I will buy a few cocounuts and do exactly what you said. I will keep you updated as soon as I get nuts and soak them with fungicide. Hope I will be lucky this time. :)

John S likes this.
  5. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Hi Milos!

Unfortunately we had to cut down the coconuts because the roots were getting into the pond. The palms are able to 'walk' by sending out roots in the direction of the water & the palms ended up right on the edge of the pond! So they had to go. Anyway, you can eat the inside of the palms. It is very nice!

6. Milos

Milos Chlorophyta

Ouch! So sad to hear you cut them down. :( Hope you'll get a new one (this time in a pot)! I must admit that I would never eat palms, even if they are tasty. I just love them too much! :D

7. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

I don't think you could grow one in a pot because the root system covers about 3 meters radius! They need a lot of space. Here people grow them on the side of the road where they can not do so much damage. Also there is a danger from falling nuts. You could be killed! I don't really have enough room for one now.

Mike A

John S and Milos like this.