Best Beginner Fern?

Discussion in 'Club Mosses, Ferns, Whisk Ferns, and Horsetails' started by Blood Lily, May 26, 2013.

1. Blood Lily

Blood Lily Chlorophyta

I've always liked the look of ferns, but have never grown one. I live in Florida and it could be kept outside or inside or on a porch, if needed. What would be the best fern for a beginner with no experience with ferns. What sort of upkeep do they require?

2. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

Most of the native ferns in your area will be easy to grow! Just add a little fertilizer and sit back! Be aware that they will spread if there aren't any plants competing with them for space.

Ferns from the genus Thelypteris should be good to start.

Blood Lily likes this.
  3. Manila_lover

Manila_lover Anthocerotophyta

What about nephrolepis exaltata, the boston fern? Quick inside grower and tolerates a wide range of growing conditions.

Blood Lily and John S like this.
  4. Blood Lily

Blood Lily Chlorophyta

Really? I didn't know that. I actually saw a native fern in my yard today while I was edging the lawn. I left it alone because I liked the look of it. I will fertilize it and see what happens! I'll post some pics here, if it thrives.

John S likes this.
  5. Manila_lover

Manila_lover Anthocerotophyta

Wish you the best with that fern! :)

6. John S

John S Administrator
    Staff Member

Make sure you clear out the area around it too!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Charophyta

I live in Florida too and I was thinking of getting a potted fern too , as a houseplant.
    Thank you for the information about the Boston fern.

8. stellaluna

stellaluna Chlorophyta

I live in the NE, so I'm not sure if the ferns here are the same as the ferns there, but here there are native ferns we call "mountain ferns" that grow all through the forests. These ferns, if you take a small clump of them and plant them in your flower bed, will grow like crazy without any work. I always kept a rock border around the beds and they did not spread into the grass. But in just one season they'll go from a small bushel to covering several square feet. I always liked them for this reason. Such a pretty native species that is hardy and requires little care. They can really green up your space!