Bayberry

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by hoodoowytch, Apr 9, 2015.

1. hoodoowytch

hoodoowytch Anthocerotophyta

I would just LOVE to have a bayberry tree/shrub to keep, but not sure if they will grow well in a large container/pot. I like the scent and the waxy substance and use in the making of candles and other items.

Not sure if I could get one to grow here in Kentucky...but if anyone can get a rooted cutting and can tell me what the tree/shrub requires maybe I can nurture one to grow here to have for harvesting the berries and using them for crafting purposes?

2. charlottejoan

charlottejoan Charophyta

Oh, I use to have one by our old lake house, well a couple actually, but alas, no longer. It was low maintenance, perfect for both drought and shady conditions. I did a quick search and found out it is common to grown in containers, too. Unfortunately, I do not have a lead for a purchase point,, but sure you will be able to get your hand on one.

I am wondering are you going to get the variety with thorns ? :)

3. hoodoowytch

I didn't know there was a variety with thorns. Does it smell even better than the one without thorns? I love the smell of bayberry. If I can grow it in a container then even better. It'll make for easier harvesting of some berries and leaves from time to time. :)

Thanks for the reply and letting me know that I can grow it here in Ky. too. How big does bayberry get?

4. charlottejoan

charlottejoan Charophyta

Well, I might have given you wrong info on the bush. Although, mine did not get much sun, I am not sure they thrive in shady conditions. I am thinking John, as a landscaper might be better informed on this issue. My mom always said, and I have read they are good to keep away the deer, which I do not think you need to worry about, since you want to plant inside. :p Nevertheless, no clue on the fragrance or differences I have always been and continue to be drawn to lilac bushes for their scent! Since you are a crafter, have you ever heard of barberry candles?

5. hoodoowytch

Yup. I love bayberry candles. Love the smell. I also use bayberry in crafting things like Money Drawing oils, Gambler's Luck gri-gri bags and lots of other types of a different sort of 'crafting' too. ;) (Bayberry is a favorite and frequently used herb in various money/prosperity/good luck hoodoo spells, charms , gris-gris, oils and candles.)

The candles are a favorite around the Yuletide holiday season too. The scent mixes well with cinnamon. :)

charlottejoan likes this.